Almonds (Badam) Benefits, Nutrition Facts, And Side Effects
Almonds fall into the world’s most popular tree nuts. They are highly nutritious and rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Facts About Almonds
Almonds are said to be one of the world’s most loved tree nuts that are highly nutritious and filled with fats, antioxidants including vitamins and minerals. Most people are aware of the facts that almonds are good for your health, but the question lies what are their various health benefits?
- Almonds are rich in proteins, fibre and nutrients
- Almond trees are the oldest domesticated trees that date back to 3000 to 2000 BC in Jordan
- Almonds reduce your risk of cholesterol
- Almond can regulate blood sugar
- Consuming almonds in excess can cause nausea, diarrhoea, shortness of breath and problems in swallowing etc.
- Almond is not a nut, instead, it is a seed of a fruit
- Almonds can be stored in a refrigerator for 2 years and this is because of their high content of vitamin E.
- India considers almonds as major brain food for children
21 Healthy Benefits Of Almonds
Almonds are said to be beneficial for your health, but in what ways is the question that you need to ask yourself. So, what are the health benefits of almonds and what good would this nut do if it is added to your daily diet?
Here are 21 health benefits of eating almonds:
- May Reduce Inflammation: Almonds have strong anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is your body’s way of defending itself from injury, bacteria, and other potentially harmful pathogens. Almonds promotes healthy aging.
- Almonds Reduce Cholesterol: Consuming almonds were proven to increase your levels of Vitamin E in your red blood cells and also reduces your risks of having cholesterol. By boosting the levels of vitamin E in your bloodstream antioxidants are formed that prevents your cells from clogging developing cholesterol.
- Almonds are good for Your Heart: When almonds are consumed along with some other nuts, it is said that it is good for your heart. Research suggests that who consumed almonds has more antioxidants in their bloodstream and this helped in reducing blood pressure and improved the flow of blood to various parts of the body.
- Almonds Regulate Blood Sugar: Almonds regulate blood sugar levels and stabilize them. This is because almonds have magnesium in them and it advised that you consume a handful of almonds daily.
- Almonds can help control Blood pressure levels: Almonds contain magnesium which helps control blood pressure effectively. If your body lacks magnesium, you must add almonds to your diet.
- Almonds are high in Vitamin E: Almonds are said to contain higher levels of Vitamin E which is an antioxidant that protects your cells from getting toxic. Higher levels of vitamin E reduces the risk of a few diseases.
- Almonds helps reduces weight: Almonds have higher contents of protein and fiber and lower levels of carbohydrates that curbs your appetite and does not keep you craving for long. This also helps in reducing the number of calories on a daily basis.
- Almonds are Rich in Nutrients: Almonds are rich in nutrients wherein just 28 grams of almonds contain, 6 grams of protein, 3.5 grams of fibre, 14 grams of fat, 37% of vitamin E, 32% of manganese, 20% of magnesium.
- Almonds are good for Your Eyes: Almonds have a high source of vitamin E that protect your eyes and prevents abnormal changes to your lens.
- Almonds have a Rich Source of Antioxidants: Almonds have a rich source of antioxidants that can protect you against stress. Stress leads to molecule damage that thereby results in inflammation, cancer and ageing.
- Almond Nourishes Skin: Almonds are a major part of the ingredients in most skin products as it has loads of benefits for the skin. Flavonoid –a certain amount fibre that is similarly found in green tea and broccoli. This component nourishes your skin and is an anti-ageing property for your skin.
- May Reduce Your Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke: Several studies suggest that almonds help lower heart disease and stroke risk due to their benefits for cholesterol levels, artery function, and inflammation.
- Almonds Improve Your Brain Power: Almonds contain L-carnitine and riboflavin that helps in the growth of brain cells. One major chemical that helps the brain in cognitive function is phenylalanine and almonds do have this chemical in them.
- Almonds are good for Your Nerves: Almonds have some amount of magnesium in them that benefits the nervous system. This also helps in developing a healthy metabolic rate. Magnesium also helps in better bone tissue.
- Almonds Treat Acne and Blackheads: Almonds are considered to be the best remedy that can prevent and fight acne, blackheads and whiteheads through the fatty acids found in them.
- Almonds Treat Stretch Marks: Almond oil makes it effective for treating stretch marks by nourishing the skin and preventing skin tear.
- Almonds Prevent Cancer: Almonds have high fibre in them and this reduces your risk of developing colon cancer. It also has loads of vitamin E and flavonoids that regulate breast cancer.
- Almonds Prevent Grey Hair and regulates growth: Almond oil is very essential in treating any kind of hair problems from hair fall to preventing hair from turning grey, you name it and almond oil comes in handy. Almonds also helps your hair grow fast and develop strong strands.
- Almonds Increase Mental Alertness: When almonds are mixed with milk they become rich in potassium. This is one of the main minerals that boost the number of electrolytes in your body, thus providing the body with more energy.
- Almonds Prevent Birth Defects: Almonds contain folic acids that protect the mother from any sort of birth defects. Pregnant women who consume almonds can help protect their baby from developing any sort of birth defects.
- Almonds are best for Treating Anaemia: Almonds contain copper, iron and vitamins that help in producing more haemoglobin and as a result, almonds can be used to prevent anaemia.
Almonds Nutritional Facts & Value
Almonds contain a lot of nutrients that helps in maintaining the body stable in many ways. The table below shows the amount of each nutrient in one ounce (28.4 g) of almonds. This is approximately equivalent to a handful of almonds or around 23 almond kernels.
|Nutrients||Amount in 1 ounce||Daily requirement|
|Carbohydrate (g)||6.1, including 1.2 g of sugar||130|
|Fat (g)||14.2, of which 12.4 g is unsaturated||20%–35% of daily calories|
|Selenium (micrograms or mcg)||1.2||55|
|Folate (mcg, DFE)||12.5||300–400|
|Vitamin E (mg)||7.27||15|
Almonds Side Effects
Almonds come in various varieties and can be categorized based on their colour, size, and shape. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, & antioxidants, and that is why even ancient civilizations knew the Almonds Benefits. Most of us know that they are good for health, but consuming too much of anything is considered bad.
- May lead to weight gain: Almonds are very high in protein. Consuming them in excess can cause you to gain weight.
- Risk of Kidney Stones: They contain oxalate – A compound that can harden and deposit in the kidneys. Therefore, it poses the risk of developing kidney stones.
- Haemorrhage and Blood Coagulation Issues: Vitamin E is found plentiful in almonds – overconsumption of which can cause an overdose leading to serious complications like blood coagulation issues & haemorrhage.
- Digestive Issues: Eating too much of it can cause bloating, diarrhoea, and an upset stomach.
- Increase Toxicity in the Body: Hydrocyanic acid (HCN) in almonds can cause cyanide poisoning. Large amounts of hydrocyanic acid in the body can cause choking, breathing issues, and even death.
- Allergies: Amandine, a kind of protein in almonds, can cause allergic reactions in people.
- Decrease Nutrient Absorption: The high fibre content in them can cause problems in nutrient absorption.
Almonds Related FAQs
Q1. What are the benefits of eating soaked almonds daily?
Eating soaked almonds early in the morning can help in improving digestion. It promotes the production of digestive-friendly enzymes.
Q2. How to sprout almonds for health benefits?
Sprouted nuts are raw nuts that have been soaked in water until they begin to germinate. Soak it and leave it on the counter overnight and then tie it/ cover it with a cloth.
Q3. What are the health benefits of almond milk?
Almond milk has similar nutrients to almonds and it is much lesser in calories which is perfect for weight loss.
Q4. What are the benefits of almond oil for skin?
Reduces puffiness and dark circles under the eye, improves complexion, helps recover acne and reverses sun damage.
Q5. What are the benefits of applying almond oil on face?
Reduces puffiness and under-eye circles, Improves complexion and skin tone, Treats dry skin, Reduces the appearance of scars, Helps reverse sun damage.
Q6. What are the benefits of almond oil for hair?
The nourishing oil can soften and strengthen your hair. It’s rich in vitamin B-7, or biotin, so almond oil helps to keep hair and nails healthy and strong.
Q7. Does honey and almond oil benefit in dark circles
Yes, the anti-inflammatory effect of honey when combined with the vitamin E in the almonds leads to clear skin, reversed skin damage and improved skin tone.
Almonds are the most nutritious nuts available to consume. Whether we talk of the nutrition or the benefits it has towards skin and other organs in the body, this is the most preferred nut by nutritionists and dieticians. Some advantages of almonds include lower blood sugar, reduced cholesterol, improved eyesight, and promoting weight loss. They are simply perfect, and it is really easy to incorporate them into any diet.
Looking for a filling post-workout meal or a binging snack that fulfils your nutrition needs? Order Fit and Flex Granola online or find it at your nearest grocery store. Add juliennes of almonds to it for extra crunch.
Fit & Flex granola is not just crunchy and delicious but also incredibly nutritional for you. Entirely baked, easy to chew, and amazingly high on flavour, it contains all the nutrition required for the day. It can act as a perfect start to every morning, or a great snack to munch on as you binge-watch the latest web series. Fit & Flex Granola is just right, any time of the day or night!